Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring? Ah more like Fall.

Today is the official first day of spring.  At least according to every calendar and newspaper.  What it felt like was more like fall.  Cool in the morning and well cool all day.  To celebrate today being spring I wanted to officially open up the greenhouse.  Well actually it never really closed but it is time to get it ready for the new growing season.  So because I am proud of what I accomplished I wanted to go through and show you Irish Lady's Greenhouse.

It all started Memorial Day weekend 2010:



A Frame was built.



The building was built.


Topsoil was added and plants were planted.  A fan was placed to move the hot air around.  One single path was made using landscaping fabric.


Frost was expected so cedar mulch was placed over all the growing areas and a heater was placed inside to help the remaining plants set their roots for winter.




Snow made entering the greenhouse quite a chore.  The door way had to be dug out.  The side walls are actually supposed to be 5 feet tall before the roof begins.  looks more like 3 feet.





The snow melted and idea's for a better way to layout the greenhouse was mapped out.






16x16 rubber squares were placed to create a more eye appealing and logical path.

The finished look at the end of the work day today.  Lettuce that survived the winter peaks out to the left by the door.  Mint grows in the middle between the two paths.  Carrots line the right side in the back and oregano hugs the wall near the carrots.

The color is not what I really wanted but at the same time should be good.  A lighter color would have reflected the sun better, a darker color would have held the heat in more.

The orientation of the greenhouse lends to many good hours of sunlight.  On this first day of spring this is the amount of light a high noon that my greenhouse gets.  After the doors were closed the temperature inside got to 100 and outside never got over 50.

In just a few more weeks I get to really start adding color to the greenhouse.  Granted it will be quite green for some time I still get to plant.  Time to get the paper out and plan what plant will go where in the greenhouse, and in the other gardens.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day