Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Daylight Savings

They say you are never to old to learn.  Granted I feel I am far from old, I seem to find that statement proven true almost on a daily basis.

Today according to the calender and of course the cable box marks the beginning of daylight savings time.  Normally when we think of daylight savings time it also marks the beginning of spring, although according to the calendar spring is still a week away.  As I am still new to the world of gardening I find a new surprise around every corner.  For example yesterday was a wonderful spring like day.  Today feels more like fall.  Although we are one calendar day closer to spring it feels more like one day further away.  The yellow looking daffodils look greener today but that seems to be the only sign that spring is on it's way.

Just the simple change in weather from one day to the next reminds me that Mother Nature and my gardens don't have a calendar.  Just because that seed packet said that those seeds should germinate in 7-14 days sometimes it may take more or less.  Even if I do everything the packet or label tells me too it doesn't mean that everything will happen in the time listed.  A hot day may cause the broccoli to bolt up and prolong the time it takes for them to flower and fruit.

In my time of learning how to garden I have learned that no book is going to be completely right on how to grow every plant I want to grow.  It takes a lot of trial and error to grow a garden.    Learning that Mother Nature is the one that will decide what grows well and what doesn't.  Although some things may be needed from me she is the one in control.  With out Mother Nature nothing can grow in my gardens.

So to the beginning of Daylight Savings I welcome what it means, that spring is close.  But I understand that just because the calendar says spring is around the corner that doesn't mean that it is around the corner unless Mother Natures deems it so.


1 comment:

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day