Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Water bottle Greenhouses.



These are just soooooo pretty.  I got these seeds a few months ago and yesterday I decided to plant a few as an experiment.  I know that they will grow that part isn't the experience it is the way that I am starting them.

These 8oz Water bottles are now mini Greenhouses.  Simply cut around the bottle at the point where it begins to get smaller.  Not all the way but most of the way.  Cut it around till you can easily fold or bend back the top.  Put in some soil, seeds, and more soil if needed.  Make sure to water it.  Then take some tape and close the bottle again.  2 pieces should do it.  I used a Zip-tie to label the bottles.  Granted this would only work if you write down someplace safe what each color means.  This is a great way to start some seeds in the dead of winter.  Also known as winter sowing.  After you have it taped up to keep it closed simply place outside in the snow or just on the porch.  When spring comes around and thaws everything out your mini Greenhouses will be the first to start germinating.

I am leaving these inside as I want to see how well they will do.  Mainly because usually this method is done with much larger bottles or milk jugs.  I want to see if the smaller space is enough.  That and it is fun for kids to do.  Their own little Greenhouses in their windows.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoy this bottle. I bought it to booze rimed element with me but then I unconcealed that it was for hot facility, too. I use it.
    --------------
    water bottle

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful greenhouse inside the water bottle. I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day