Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Harvesting Edible Garden Tour - January 21, 2011

Welcome to the first of many new Idea's for this year.

I love looking at pictures of gardens.  Of ornamental and of Edible.  So since I already participate in the Garden Bloggers Bloom Day an ornamental of sorts I wanted to create something similar but from the Edible Garden.

So for my entry:
Garlic Chives

 Even in the coldest days of winter hard core gardeners can be found tending to a plant of some kind.  Many of us who are trying to eat healthier can be found giving our Edible Gardens some much needed TLC.  Granted this Garlic Chive plant doesn't look like much but I brought it back from the dead.  I left it out on my porch too long into the beginnings of winter and it got hit with some frost.

But some TLC, water, window filtered sunlight, the heat of my house back to life it has come.

Not truly needing to be harvested at any particular point Garlic Chives are one of those herbs you harvest as needed. But since I used up almost all my frozen chives I needed to cut some more to restock.


I know it doesn't look all that different but this is after the cuttings were well cut.  Chives are best harvested when you cut them right at the soil line.








So what in your garden is edible and harvest-able right now?  Write about it, post a copy of the link below and make a comment if you want.  Come back later and see who else made a post and look at their gardens.




4 comments:

  1. I have never tasted garlic chives... I am really looking forward to getting a garden started and trying some new things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of this blog carnival, but sadly I don't have anything to harvest at the moment! I agree that garlic chives are delightful.

    Perhaps you'd considering submitting this post for the next issue of How to Find Great Plants? It might help with additional people learning about your carnival. Here's the link:

    http://www.appalachianfeet.com/how-to-find-great-plants/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm growing sprouts inside in a jar... I haven't thought of growing chives inside, but I might give that a try! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have chives in my garden but not garlic chives. I will add this herb in my garden when the weather is not extremely hot. I got interested when I read you freeze your garlic chives.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day