Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Monday, January 17, 2011

World garden blog carnival. Gardening for the new year Jan 2011

AAAHHHH a New Year a new plan.  Although parts of my garden are still growing from last year for the most part it is a new year and time for new plans.

This year I plan to well....plan my garden.  Last year I was given the Greenhouse for Mothers Day and as soon as it was ordered I went out got some seeds and started them.  Yes they grew.  I did get veggies from them, but I didn't plan.  Had I planned maybe I would have gotten to eat some of my broccoli and cauliflower.

So this year it's all about preparing and planning.  I have "maps" all ready created for each and every garden.  Well except the flower gardens.  Still working on those.  I took each and every seed catalog book I had and filled out the order forms as if I was going to buy everything from that one catalog.  Then after all were filled out I made one master list.  If any items were on multiple forms...the best deal was the only one to be added.  Granted this way I may end up paying shipping from a few different company's but I know that I will be getting the best deal.  I also broke the list down to Need to have to start gardening, Really want to have, and Would like to have.

Planning the garden is more fun than I thought.  It does remind me of my youth when we went on vacations.  Packing a mini-van for 7 people for a week takes practice and a certain amount of patience.  Tetris has to be your game if you plant to get it all in the trunk.  My gardens are like that.  How much can I plant in this one garden with out crowding the plants but yet maximizing the space I have.  It's cool.  If I move the tomato to this garden then I have more room for the beans.  If I plant the peas in with the corn I won't need as many trellises for them to climb on as they can use the corn stalks.  The lettuce will love being planted under the tomato's lots of shade.  Things like that.
Not able to wait I started some seeds last month.  Half of these are for the edible parts of the garden where the other half is ornamental.  Another new thing for this year is I want to plant some of my own flowers.  All but a hand full of plant where here when we bought the house in 2009.  I want to add my own color to the yard.  Some that will come back each year....and some that won't.  I want to try new things.  Expand my experience and learn more.

So here is too a New Gardening Year.

Want to see some other's that are part of the Carnival?  Just visit My little Garden in Japan.  Fernando has links on his blog to other bloggers around the world.  



new year gardening resolutions

Visit New Year Gardening Resolutions Blog Carnival

at my little garden in japan


5 comments:

  1. I think planning is good, well it will get it out of your system for a while. However if you are anything like me you will fall in to your old ways. Not so bad, can have more interesting results. As for myself, think I will chill out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how tetris gardening can be. When I am trying to arrange all my plants in the very small space on my balcony there is always some struggle.
    Best luck for this starting year! I am sure your projects will do great! and keep us posted on how does the seedlings do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband seeded tomatoes, a horrible failure. We did get them planted, but they died. They did well in the window light, but grew to be quite leggy before we could them planted. You have a good plan. Good luck. cheers. ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. We shoul all make more plans and then execute them--that's the hard part for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! From now on I am calling "intensive gardening" or "square foot gardening" the new name of "Tetris gardening." I actually say the same thing when we pack for camping (and then my daughter groans "Mom, packing the car is not a computer game!"

    Great garden goals post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day