Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I am an herb.

I always knew that my name Melissa meant Honeybee.  It has been a nickname of sorts for many years but on Dave's Garden I saw the Latin Word of the week - Melissa

  The Latin word of the week  
Melissa
(mel-ISS-a)In Greek mythology, Melissa was a nymph who cared for Zeus when he was an infant and hidden from his father.

Melissa gathered honey from bee hives to feed Zeus, who developed a sweet tooth as a result and later turned her into a honeybee.

Melissa is commonly known as bee balm. It is an herb native to southern Europe, and has been used since ancient times to relieve complaints relating to the nervous system. Its uses were described by Parcelsus, Pliny the Elder, Dioscorides and Gerard.

Its common name "balm" is an abbreviated form of balsam, the source of sweet-smelling oil. In modern times, science has proven that balsamic oils derived from aromatic plants are useful in surgical dressings, as they can effectively seal the wound and prevent harmful bacteria from entering.


Now how cool is this.  I am a Herb.  I think I may just have to get me some of these.....just because it's me.  The things I learn while reading articles.

Anyone else out there have a plant named after them....or I guess it would be more like anyone out there named after a plant?

1 comment:

  1. Melissa officinalis is Lemon Balm, a wonderful aromatic plant. It makes a nice tea and adds something special chopped in a fresh fruit salad. Bees love it! It belongs in every herb garden. I have a fragrant violet named Rebecca, but that's only a given name not the real Latin.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day