Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

April showers bring May flowers....March showers?

38 days till the last frost in my Zone 6 gardens.  Counting down and doing my best to wait.   The rain today let up and I wanted to take a little walk about the yard to see what might have been hiding.

Here is what I found


A wet sneaky squirrel.  I sorta felt bad for the little guy....what was so cute looking.



I actually found my rose bushes yesterday.  I got the shovel and uncovered them.  hard to see but they are there still surrounded by snow.




My big lilac tree by the driveway is showing signs of breaking it's winter sleep all over the place.  This looks like a new branch maybe.



My pink rose bush that was here when we bought the place was pruned back a lot yesterday but I found a few of these little nodes and saved them.


Proof that it was raining today could be found as well as new growth on my Japanese flowering dogwood


This little beauty surprised me as I didn't even know it was there.  I believe it is a crocus.  What a bright spring color next to all those dark fall leaves.



My Daffodils are getting more and more green every day.  And I could see a few of the flower stalks starting to come thru.



This was just too pretty not to take another picture as I walked back by.  And it really shows the contrast too.


This is my Fragrant lilac that I got last year from Arbor day.  Looks like it is still alive.

A red colored maple tree next to the lilac.  I knew it would live....but it is nice to see signs of life.


Another Arbor day tree planted almost a year ago the Washington Hawthorn.  Showing signs of life.


One of the 2 Sargent Crabapple trees also showing that it made it through our crazy winter.

The second Crabapple tree that I thought for sure wouldn't make it.  It was much taller than the other trees but just one main stem.  It had a car port dropped on it quite a few times this past winter.  But she bounced back.....


Garlic Chives.  These guys were planted outside.  The only protection they had was the mulch I put down just before winter.

My Italian Oregano that is in the greenhouse seems to have made it well.  They were also protected by mulch but I am sure the greenhouse part and lack of 3 ft of snow help.

These are the Garlic Chives that are planted in the greenhouse.  Looking much better and bigger than the ones outside the greenhouse.  Good to know that even if the temps did get below freezing in there it still protected the plants.
The one plant I am very thankful was in the greenhouse.... Chocolate Mint.  Having a few issues but showing new growth regardless.


Our Weeping Pussy Willow tree has these little cotton ball like things are all over the branches.  They are so soft too.  Some have a pink hue to them and others don't.  All I know is the birds love this tree.  This poor tree had issue last winter and has had to be tied up ever since.  It was weeping too much.





I can't beleive how much I found outside today.  April showers bring May flowers, is how the saying goes but what about March shower?  What do they bring?  For Irish Lady's Garden it brings signs of life in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day