Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Friday, June 18, 2010

The wonderful world of Sprouts

Now here is something that kids of all ages can get a kick out of. Growing your own Sprouts....such as Alfalfa sprouts. All you need is a jar and some cheese cloth and sprouting seeds. But if you are a little weiry of that like I was here is another alternative. A sprouting kit. Most kits come with a bottom tray that collects water, one or more clear trays with holes in the bottom and a top also with holes. Here is my tray. I have a Zesty blend of sprouts inside.


The day after I started them this is what we saw....not even 24 hours later...and already you can see them. This is the biggest reason why kids will love to grow them.....you can actually SEE them grow.







Day 2....today the kids noticed the roots growing thru the bottom of the trays. They also noticed that some have fuzzy roots...Some even already had a little green.








Day 4. Some how I missed a day but hey....check them out....look at how big they are..












Here begins day 5. They seem to have already out grown the trays. But upon close inspection they are done and ready to be consumed. After a lot of rinsing to get seed shells off I place them into 2 1/2 cup containers and vented the lids. They are now in the fridge awaiting to be eaten.





The trick to growing these with out dirt is the water. You have to rinse them at least once a day if not twice. Water is not to be left at the bottom. Once the majority of the dripping has stopped thats when you get ride of the water....what drips after that is fine to stay. To get better results than these it is actually best to keep them in a dark area...keep them from turning green as long as you can. They will still grow with out the sun light but only to a certain point. At that point they need the suns growing magic. So try it out if you like alfalfa or even if yoiu don't you can add these powerfully nutrition packed sprouts to many meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day