Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Companion Planting Part1

So I was once again scoring the internet for information on the plants I want to grow. I came across an article talking about companion planting. Wondering what it is all about I read on. Turns out there are times when the spacing between plants is not needed. Basically speaking you can plant more than one kind of plant in the row. For example I found out that in my corn bed I can plant Pumpkins...and a few herbs as well.

Companion planting serves many purposes I found out. They can reduce the amount of pests and insects that attack your plants. They can even attract the bennificial ones....like bees for pollinisations. Some can provide shade for others, or even something for them to climb on. They can help each other produce a higher yeild or bigger better flowers. Another thing I read was that sometimes they help each other in a more scientific way. One plant uses something in the soil and another plant produces it. It can be it's own mini ecosystem in your back yard.

There are tons of sites all over that have charts of what plants are compatible or incompatible. What plants are used for certain pest control. Some charts even tell you if it is for better yields. Below are a few of the sites that I found that have (I think) well put together charts or just really good info.

Links:
1) http://www.tinkersgardens.com/vegetables/companionplanting.asp - this site had a lot of information including a herb companion chart complete with pests they repell.
2) http://www.gardensablaze.com/Companions/CompanionYield.htm - This site will take yoiu to the better yields chart but at the top has links to a pest control chart and a attract beneficial instects chart
3) http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/complant.html - This one also has a chart but also has some good information.


I hope that you all find this post and these links helpful. I know I have. I plan on starting my pumpkins now and planting them in with my corn. And maybe add some Mint to keep ants away and Basil or Garlic to keep the Mosquitoes away....course I may just plant Garlic all over my yard to keep Mosquitoes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day