Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rhubarb Part 1 - The Harvest

So the Rhubarb was ready to harvest. So I took the kids outside to have them help me bring in our first true harvest. The important thing about Rhubarb is to pull from the base. Best not to cut. You can cut but then you could be waisting valuable stalk. When you pull you won't get roots it almost looks like you just broke a peice of Celery off. The leaves are NOT edible so there is no need to worry about them if they break. This first picture here is of the 3 Victoria Rhubarb plants just before we harvested them.

Here is a close up of the stalks. When looking to see if they are ready to harvest they do not need to be red through out the whole stalk. As long as the base is red...your good too go. The first year you plant you may only get a few stalks but as the years past you will get more and bigger ones.





This was the leaf that Shannon chose to pick. I wanted to take pictures of them actualy picking them but since this is their first year I wasn't sure how good the roots have taken hold and needed to help.








This was the one that Aiden chose to pick. He is being his normal goofy self.











This is what we harvested. I put them in the bag so that no extra dirt or other surprises would be found on the stalks. Because the leaves are going to be discarded anyway I left them out of the bag.







The Rhubarb plants after we harvested.....they look so tiny now. But if we are lucky we may be able to get another harvest out of them this year. Usually the first year you won't but hey fingers crossed that we can.







Here is just another shot of the harvest. I think it looks cool.











This is just a single stalk view to show the coloring. Notice how only at the base it is red. if you look closely at the left of the photo you can see where it was broken away from the main root.










And finally we have a view of our stalks. Some have more red than others. Some have very little. All were ready to be harvested. The next step is to remove the leaves and wash them. After that it is on to what ever task you harvested them for. For us it was making Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day