Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Outside Garden




Because I didn't want to wait till the Greenhouse was up and cause some things I wanted to plant are better outside I started this smaller garden just off my kitchen porch.

This one has:
Rhubarb
Onions
Lettuce
Carrots

These plants are mostly direct sow. Meaning they don't have to be started in small pots but can be directly planted in their growing site. They do how ever still need proper spacing. Most are really too close to each other and will be thinned as the seedlings come up. The Lettuce and Carrots were planted using the burpee seed tape. It was really cool.
Interesting information about these plants. Upon researching or knowledge gained from experiance I have learned many different things about the plants I am going to grow. For one Rhubarb leaves are not safe to eat but the stalks are of course. Carrots though are technically a annual plant can become a biannual plant. Everything starts with a seed of some sort but when you harvest carrots you are pulling out the roots. Upon researching carrots I found that if you leave a few in the ground....as in don't harvest a few, that the following year they will actually flower and thus produce seeds. Depending on how my carrots come out this year I plan on trying this....saves me money buying more seeds.

Here is a few pictures of the onions as they are starting to come up:

And the Rhubarb:
Rhubarb comes as a root. I bought these as a 3 pack. They were all growing in a separate pot I had on my deck but when I transplanted them one lost it's leaves. I found out after I planted them in the pot that this is one of those plants that once planted other than harvesting you don't want to mess with them. All the packageing says that these are supposed to be annuals but I know from growing up that they infact usually do grow back each year...and tend to be bigger. Upon reading other sources I found that the first year harvest but don't consume. The second year harvest can be consumed but the biggest harvests are year 3 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day