Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Spacing and layout.


Spacing is important when it comes to planning a garden of any kind. A vegetable garden has a little more need for it. 8'x8' seems like a pretty big area to plant stuff and if these were flowering plants sure....it would be more than enough. But I have vegetables. Each Veggi has a required bubble of sorts. Some it is as simple as just spacing between each plant...others need between each plant and in rows so far apart.
Take the corn for instance. Each plant needs to be 6-8" apart but in rows 2-3' apart and it is recomended that there is at least 4 rows so they can be proper pollinated.
Tomato plants are different. They do have requirements but it's not the same, and it depends on the hybrid you have. For the ones that I have here they are considered a patio plant. Meaning they need very little growing room other than up. It is recomended for these to have something to help support the main stem though.
The Green Beans are very different in that they only need to be at least 6" apart from each other.
The Broccoli likes more room to play than the Green Beans....they like at least 16" between them.









Now another question that I had in planning what to plant, where, and how is....well where. Can I plant one veggi next to another? Will it look ok? Then of course I realized that looks isn't what matters in a vegetable garden...unless you are looking at the product it's self. A vegetable garden doesn't take as much planning as a flower garden may but it does still take some planning. You don't want to many next to each other or too far apart. It this plant better outside the greenhouse or does it matter. Take the corn again....in the Greenhouse at 5' is where the walls begin to form the roof....corn stalks can get to be over 5' tall so they wouldn't work too well in the greenhouse...unless that was the only way to grow them. Another thing to remember when planning a vegetable garden I found out the hard way. Don't sow too many of each seed. Unless it says to plant in a mound or grouping only 1 should be in each spot. When starting seeds usually it is done by placing 2-3 seeds into a single spot...then thinning them out. Me I didn't want to thin out some of them....they all looked so healthy and cute....but now I have more than I need as most of them sprouted.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day