Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rhubarb part 3 - Making the Jam

Step one....the ingredients. For me it was Strawberries, Rhubarb, 1/4 cup water and the Fruit Pectin. Once my Jars were to the boiling point I turned these guys on to start. The Rhubarb has been washed and cut. A few along with some strawberries sat in the fridge with a little sugar over night only cause I had to wait for the remaining Rhubarb...(I didn't have enough so my Mom gave me some of hers). Most recipies want crushed strawberries but as I found out while cooking the bigger slices of strawberry were the last to disapear. The strawberries if crushed would have been done way before the Rhubarb would.

Ahhhh Rhubarb stew....As you can see the strawberries are starting to disapear. This is good.

After they reached the boiling point and most of the strawberries were gone it was time to add the sugar. The recipie called for 5 1/2 cups but I thought that was way too much so I just did 3 and almost a 1/2. At this point you need to be constantly stiring. Once boiling again keep the boil hard for 1 min...this just means you want a good hot Jam.

The Jam is done cooking time to add to the Jars. Remove only one Jar at a time to make it easier....remember they are hot. Fill the jar up to the hight recomended....for me it was 1/4" from the top of the rim.

Next make sure that your rim is clean and has nothing on it and place a hot lid on top. Add the band and either set a side till all Jars are filled or place back into the pot of boiling Jars.

This step is interesting. Not all Jams or other canning items need this step. In fact I found some recipies that didn't need this step for this Jam. But regardless this is what I did. Once all the Jars were filled and lids and bands on they were all places back into the pot the Jars were cooked in and once again brought to a boil for 10 min.

After the 10 min was up it was time to remove the Jars and set aside to cool. It is hard to see in this picture but in the back row the Jar on the left in the center of the lid you should see a little bump but the one just to it's left doesn't. As the jars cool you should hear a small pop as the center bump is sucked in. Once the Jars are cooled to room temperature you should test this. If the lid depresses when you apply pressure it has not sealed yet but if it doesn't then you are good to go. They won't all seal at the same time....but it is kinda cool to hear them go. When you open one of the Jars that is sealed you may or may not hear a pop but at least you should hear air. After opened the lid center will depress...at this point it is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day