Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Christmas in May

Repost from Wednesday @ 2131

4:30 PM today the doorbell rang.  I open the door to find a box sitting on the porch and the UPS guy walking away.  Telling him thank you I pick up the box.  What do I find but that it is a box from Richters herbs and contains live plants.  I was so happy I almost dropped the box.  Ok not really I had a good grip on the box but I have been waiting for these plants since February.

So tomorrow after a day of rest and water my newest herbs will find a new home in my gardens.  I can't wait to taste some of them.  They have perked up quite a bit since I placed them in a tray of water but have more recovering to do....but here is a sneak peek of what is sure to be a wonderful smelling garden this year.

Just looking at all these I can smell them.  
This was all in one box...quite nicely packed too I might add

 Apple Mint....It just sounded yummy.....and I do love my mints...
 Tricolor Sage.  I love the way this plant looks.  Such interesting leaves....
 Pennyroyal - the anti mosquito plant.....this one is called purple snowcones.  A member of the mint family that is very strong in smell....and insects hate it.
 Another favorite of mine that I grew last year is Lemon Thyme.  A very light hint of lemon that adds to any meal.
 Oregano-Thyme-Mint.  Up thats right....I took a picture of the label below for any who want to read a little about it.  I had to get this one as well come on....3 herbs in one?
 Proof that it is 3 herbs in one.
I read that this particular herb is a great one to have in a cold frame greenhouse.  Pineapple Sage has a pineapple scent and red flowers.  Mostly for the blooms all year idea but hey....I don't have to eat it....I can grow it just for it's beauty.
 This set of three on the other hand I will eat.  Pesto Basil.  As soon as the box was open....not even actually...as soon as the tape was cut this is the first herb I could smell.  It smells just like a Pesto sauce.  And I grew it last year and harvested some...the taste is wonderful on chicken.
 This is Hummingbird Sage....purchased not so much for the herb but for the bird.  I can't wait to see how well it attracts hummingbirds.
 I needed another Mint plant like I need a hole in my head..... especially if that mint plant is peppermint.  But this little guy was hard to pass up....a variegated one.  I am sure I will harvest some but I actually got this to go with my roses to help keep the bad insects away.
 Another plant that is sorta part of the mint family is this Vicks plant.  Said to have the same aroma as Vicks vapor rub.  It does have a mint like look to it but it is very soft.....I couldn't smell anything but it's still young I will give it time.
And finally Banana Mint.  Ok yea I really didn't need this one but well it's two flavors I would never have put together so I had to get it.  I didn't really smell much on this one either but it too is young....

So how many out there are either hungry or and just about smell the herbs.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words but you know what?  Words with a picture (or words in the picture) can really get the senses going.   Or maybe looking and typing about them is causing the minty smell....oh wait...they are on the table behind me....waiting to get the morning sun.

Anyone got any other interesting herbs they have tried?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day