Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentines day and the Gardener

The holiday of love.  A favorite among florists.  But what about the gardener.  We give our plants TLC like they are our kids.  Would you want to give her a dozen cut roses?

Sure, as long as they didn't come from her garden.  But to appeal to the gardener at heart maybe there is something else you can give.  Yes we gardeners will cut out own flowers and display them inside through out the year so we are not against cutting flowers but we much prefer to nurture our plants.

So what does that mean for the Significant others in our lives.  Given the fact that you love a gardener you must think like a gardener.  Give them a potted plant.  A mini rose bush, or a large one.  That way they get flowers all season long instead of just that one day and the week that follows.

I know as I walk through the Valentine isles at Walmart I tend to look at the items with a Gardeners eye.  Did you know that those cute heart shaped candy dishes would make a good saucer to place under a potted plant? Or how about those heart covered big round bowls?  A great indoor herb garden container.  Even those small metallic balloons can be used by the crafty gardener.  That reflective surface is great for adding a little more light  when the sun hits it.  I can stick it in the ground in my greenhouse....the light that reflects off may help a shaded plant get a little more light.

So how about plants.  What kind of plants are good for this holiday of love?  Roses are always a good bet for most I am sure.  But how about something unique?  Ahhh now here is where my other half should really start reading.  Bamboo or Bonsai plants could be really good here.  This is something I don't have and a lot of gardeners don't have.  There are many sites that offer lucky bamboo plants that are even in the shape of a heart.  Now how cool is that.  (HINT HINT).  Or if he's really clever a bonsai tree that I can shape into a heart if it's not already one.

Here are a couple good links to some sites I found with some good live Valentines gifts.
Pro Flowers
Find Gift.Com
FTD
Lucky Bamboo Shop
Office Playground




1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I'm visiting from {in}courage community as a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day