Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I learned something new

A saying that I heard often growing up was every time you learn something new you get a new wrinkle on your brain.  Well today I got a new wrinkle.  See I found a plant growing earlier in the year and my Mother and I declared it a lily.  Only thing was it was growing differently from the others.  But we were pretty sure that thats what it was.
See this here is what we said is a lily.  Turns out we were right.  But for the past month we have been seeing these black ball things growing on the leaves.  No idea what it was and finally deciding that as the flower is so close to blooming I should really look it up....I did.

These odd looking things are called BULBILS.  Odd name for an odd growth.  But yet apparently very fitting.  These guys is how this particular lily multiplies.  Apparently I can harvest them and grow new plants from it.  Some times they start growing roots and leaves while still on the mother.

So now that I know I can enjoy the flower when it opens without wondering if some bug is going to hatch.  Cause with all the aphids I have had that was the first thing I thought of.  A bug was laying eggs.

I have to say that this is the strangest way to grow baby bulbs but well if it works I guess it works.  Course I have no idea what kind of lily it is so when it opens I will be sure to post a picture so my wonderful fellow garden bloggers can help me identify.

Until later have a great night, and find a way to add a wrinkle to your brain.



1 comment:

  1. That is sure interesting. Never saw a Lily with those black seeds before. Can't wait to see the flowers.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day