Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Storing seeds

So now that you have learned how to collect seeds your ready to go out into the neighbor hood and see what you can find.  But wait.....just gathering seeds isn't quite that simple is it?  Sure it is....as long as you have a plan before you go.  For instance when I went out I made sure I had a jacket or pants with lots of pockets.  This way each variety of seed that I collect can have it's own spot away from others.  And it also allows me to be sure that they don't get mixed.  Unless you know what the seeds look like for sure it's best to have some way to keep different kinds seperate till to arrive back home.  Small ziplock bags, envelopes, pockets, what ever you have handy that you can use to help keep them appart. 

Once home it's time to lable and store the seeds.  The Seed Site is a great site to go to for seed packets.  You just simply pick a design you like and print it off.  Cut out the shape glue or tape  together and presto a home made seed packet that is perfect.  http://www.wintersown.org/ is another site that has lost of good seed packet templates.  There are tons all over the internet.

Here are some examples from the 2 sites I listed.  These are some easy ones and can be very usefull.  They all have lots of room to lable the packet. 

So whats supposed to be on the lable?  Well for one you need the type of plant and if known the variety.  Another is when it was collected.  I just put the Month and Year.  This comes into play when you go to use them.  Since the gardens are pretty much going dorment right now mostlikely you are collecting seeds for the following year.  Or maybe you are giving them away.  Well it is suggested that you not use seeds over 2-3 years old.  So the ones I collect this year are most likely going to be good till 2013.  But again that will also depend on how they are stored and what kind of see they are.  Some last longer than others.  Now you can still use them after 3 years but their viability is questionable.  But hey give it a shot...you may be surprised.

Something else to consider when lableing these special collections is to put days till germination, depth, spacing, etc.  Things that you would find on a traditional seed packet from the store.  This way when you go to plant them or someone who received as a gift goes to plant them the information is right there.  I put that information on the back or on a index card filed with the packets. 

The Potting Shed gave me a seed saving kit for winning a contest on facebook.



This really cool little kit came with tins to put seeds in as well as Glassene envelopes to store seeds in.  Lables to put on both as well.  Even a pencile to write with and seed markers to use when planting.

It also came with a chart to assist in seed saving.  There was a card inside as well that gave some basic instructions on how to use the kit/save seeds.  I really liked the kit...in fact I ended up buying another one.  They have kits on the site for kids too.  I can see how a kid would love to use this kit as the tins have clear lids so they can see the seeds.  And as most seeds are dry and there for somewhat hard they make noise in the tin.

Having a kit like this actually got me very interested in learning how to save seeds.  I enjoyed my greenhouse and other gardens this year (still am actually) and untill I won this kit I hadn't even thought of saving seeds for future use.  But I won the kit and said well I can't just let it sit there.....I need to use it for something.....and I did. 

So print off some seed packet templates and have them ready, put on a jacket and grab the camera and kids.  Head outside and see what you can find that you could plant in your yard next year.  Come on you know that those really pretty flowers that are growing up your neighbors mail box would look really nice in your garden too....so go get some seeds.  Teach the kids how the life of a plant doesn't end every fall but begins anew with a tiny seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day