Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Observations of note

As the growing season comes to an end I am noticing different things.  It seems that Bob and Bobbet are not done giving me fruits of their labors.  Since the weather has turned cooler they seem to be perking up and growing better than they did all summer.  I am not totally sure as to the reason for this but I have a guess.  I believe that it was due to the high temperatures that the Greenhouse reached in the summer time.  Now that the outside temp doesn't get that high it is only heated by the sun.  It still reaches over 90 some days but not over 110.

 I have also noticed that the Peppers seem to be doing better now than before.  I took a quick count this morning and counted over 40 Peppers growing over all.  Thats a whole lot of peppers.

Something else I have noticed is that although the mint in the Greenhouse has been going nuts since I planted it the mint that is closest to the Peppers is trully going crazy.  But the mint that was inbetween the Pepper plants (in the middle of the square) has all but died.  I belive that this is due to lack of sun and not the Peppers.  As the other mint that I mentioned that is going crazy is right next to the peppers. 

For most of the summer the Mint that was next to the tomato plants was going crazy.  Since the mint there is no long as big I belive that it was mostly due to the sun it got in that area. 

I am very interested to see what happends in the greenhouse over the winter.  Basically my greenhouse is just a really big Cold Frame.  Sun powered ventalation in the roof and sun heated.  I do have a power cord that goes into the greenhouse so that I can have a fan on during the really hot days and have also brought a heater in there but as that raises the electric bill I don't want to use it as much. 

I have been reading about how I can heat the greenhouse or at least keep it above freezing for the winter without the use of power but the space is too small to really use most of the idea's. 

Any ideas are more than welcome.  Anyone else that is growing via soler powered greenhouse and has tips please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day