Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Flowers in the Garden Part 1

So along with my Greenhouse and the adventures of starting to grow an edible garden I took carefull note of flowers that were growing around the yard. Tried to put a name to them if I didn't already know them. Most of the flowers were planted before we moved in summer 2009. So some I just found this year as they bloomed earlyin 2009.

Did you know that flowers and some other foliage type plants can be VERY good for the edible garden? See some of these beautiful flowers actually attract good bugs and pests. Some can also attract bad ones....which if not planted near veggies is great because it can keep them away from the veggies.

So to the begining of a Flower series here are some pictures of flowers in the front yard.







A surprise of some pretty daisys....



Found out thru lots of reaserch that this pretty flower here on a tree in the yard is actually a Japaniese Dogwood.  They have some funny looking fruits in fall (pictures to follow later) also known as Kousa.  I may try to make a Jam from them...I read it's good.





Some Pansy's.  Now these I planted.  Some didn't make it but this was also early in the year so I was just begining my journy.  But these guys grew.





Just a close up of the Pansy's.





 Another close up from another of the Pansy plants.  I love this one....the coloring is so pretty.




After a lot of research - even more than the dogwood - I finally got a name to this big guy,  Peony. Such a beautiful  and full flower.  Reminds me of a Carnation. 

1 comment:

  1. Your peonies, roses & hydrangeas are gorgeous. I certainly hope you cut some to bring inside...they would make such a beautiful arrangement!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day