Welcome - come enjoy my Garden with me

My Garden although it may be small is my garden. I love working in the garden and showing or telling others about it. While you are here take a look around. There is a lot to see. Take a look at the other blogs I love to read. Leave a comment if you like. But most of all. Enjoy your time here, and come back soon.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Coke bottle fun

Have you ever gone into Walmart right before a holiday or big event?  Seen the Odd Shaped Coke Bottles?  Like around Super Bowl time....Football shapes, or Ball shaped in December.  Well here is a cool thing you can do.  It combines your garden and crafts.


Potpourri in a bottle:

Make a gift for that special football lover, or an ornament for the tree.  Here is how.

Step 1 - Drink the coke.  Very important step.
Step 0.5 - Buy the bottle - Guess we should do that first huh
Step 2 - Rinse the bottle well and dry out as best as you can
Step 2.5 - Remove lable
Step 3 - ADULTS ONLY FOR THIS STEP PLEASE!!!! Using a knife/scissors/utility knife cut small holes around the bottle.  I did 4 around the middle.  This step allows the smell of what we put in to come out.
Step 4 - Chose the scent - Any nice smelling Herb is good, rose peddles....etc be creative
Step 5 - Add scent to bottle - best to have dried herbs but fresh cut is fine
Step 6 - Replace the cap on top - keeps the mess down...
Step 7 - Add colorful yarn around the neck of the bottle....making sure that it is tight enough to hold the bottle if hung.
Step 8 - Give to recipient....or self

Here are the 2 that I have in th house.  The Snowball Coke Bottles.


Have some lavender?  Add it to a bottle.  Add yarn if you please.  Or like me I just have it sitting on my desk.  Every so often I like to give it a little shake to let a fresh burst of Lavender into the air.

Here we have Cedar Shavings.  They smell great and again shake for a fresh burst of scent.

For the hanging ones I added a ziptie around the neck first and tied the year to that.  But each bottle has 4 hold around it's middle .  I chose the middle because with Herbs after a while shaking will also crush the dried herbs....and you may make a mess.  I am sure that there is a far better way to allow the smells escape but as of yet I don't have one.  

I don't recommend glueing the top onto the bottle so that you can change the herbs out or just change scents. Or add more.  

Granted the guys in your life may not like this but the ladies will.  And it can make for an interesting conversation piece.


8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I wish they sold those bottles here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw those bottles either. But this is a very cool craft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good idea!
    Here they sell those little bottles regularly because japanese like their portions small.
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe they only sell these bottles in California, but I like idea. Perhaps you could contact Coke since people seem interested. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in NY and thats where we got them. We usually find them in Walmart in those big bins by the doors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did see those bottles this year!
    Really fun! I also like your gardening tips!
    I hope your new year will be filled with tons more creativity!

    Hope you'll stop by and follow along with me too! It's a life blog...with lots of variety.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty sure I saw these bottle here in North Carlina as a Christmas promotion. A very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I'm a new follower from the Blog Frog community - love the blog - I love finding new ideas for reusing. Thanks =)

    Sandie lee
    http://cupofromance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. Ask a question. Post a link to your garden.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gardening Definition of the Day